Dementors


Someone asked me what it's like when you feel like you’re dying but you’re actually not dying. I dwelled on this question for a long time. This has never been asked of me. By anyone. And it was weird that I didn't know how to answer or what to say because I have been feeling the exact thing again. Actually, for a while now. I guess I got used to holding myself back from telling anyone because nobody ever asked why. I did get a few nods to show me that they were listening but really they weren't or a couple of shrugged shoulders pretending they didn't hear anything I said. What's worse were those looks that I received as if they were saying "are you out of your mind?' or "here we go again". Mind you, these responses came from people I thought were my friends. And I was right - I just THOUGHT that they were.

Anyway, going back, when you feel you have heart palpitations, or maybe your stomach in a knot or your head is about to explode. These are all examples of what it feels like when someone says they are dying but are not actually dying. These are symptoms of anxiety. So you ask, why would we say we are dying when we are not?

Easy! This is how we communicate. Or at least try to. This is how we express ourselves. When it gets really overwhelming and the usual anxiety symptoms just doesn't cut it. This is how we reach out. At least that's how I am. The best way I think of to describe my emotions that you will understand whenever it is unbearable is go to the extreme. And what is more extreme than dying? It's the ultimate loss of life.

So please, don't hate on the next person who tells you they think they are dying. Be compassionate instead. That person is telling you this because they are trying to communicate with you that they are in severe pain, whether emotionally, physically or both.


originally posted: 10/19/2021 

Comments